Thursday, January 1, 2009

FAQ

Ask me some questions and if many have the same query, I will post it in the FAQ’s.

What is “Jailbreak”?

Jailbreak is hacking the ipod touch system so you can install third party applications. It is not authorized or encouraged by Apple, but you bought it and you are free to do whatever you like with the ipod. There are no cons to jailbreaking. Applications include NES emulator, MxTube, Winterboard, and PocketTouch. After jailbreaking, your device becomes an amazingly revolutionary mobile entertainment machine.

Has jailbreaking ever made the ipod touch brick?

In my experience that has never happened. But if worse comes to worse, you just need put your device into Recovery mode to restore the ipod with itunes to the factory default settings. (I do not recommend restoring often because it takes a lot of time getting all your preferences back the way it was.) It then looks exactly like a normal ipod touch and you can’t see the difference. So give it a try. If you don’t like it, just restore it. Trust me the possibilities are endless.

Is Jailbreaking Illegal?

This is up for debate. Apple does not support this at all. Personally I think it’s fine as I believe you are free to do as you please to what you have bought as rightfully your possession. A jailbroken ipod touch will void the warranty. So don’t ever go into an Apple store and let them fix a jailbroken ipod touch! Remember that. Luckily you can restore your ipod to the factory settings and no one will know what it’s been through.

So I finally jailbroke my ipod, now what can I do?

You will now have either Installer, Cydia, or both. Launch one of them to begin optimizing your ipod to its potential. Look around in the packages for games, tools, utilities, and themes. All you have to do is tap on a package and hit install. I recommend reading the “More Info” sections if applicable.

Help! My Ipod is frozen!?!?!!

Calm down. Take a deep breath and understand that this has happened to many people, including yours truly. First try rebooting your system by holding the power and home buttons until the device turns off and then turns on again. When you see the apple boot logo on screen, let go of both buttons. If you cannot reboot the ipod put it into Recovery mode and restore it with itunes.

How do I put my ipod into Recovery mode?

  1. Connect your ipod into your computer and make sure itunes is running.
  2. While your device is on, press and hold the Home and Power/Sleep/Wake buttons at the same time.
  3. After exactly 10 seconds, release the Power/Sleep/Wake button.
  4. Keep holding the home button for an additional 10 seconds until itunes says it has detected an ipod in Recovery Mode.
  5. Congrats!